Monthly Archives: September 2015

My Cat Pottery cats

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

As I mentioned, I’m posting now to show you my own Winstanley Pottery cats, which I bought because they were so like my own beautiful mother-and-daughter moggies.  The photo above is my pottery cats, of course, and just below this paragraph are my own beautiful cats:  Jessie, the stubby-legged daughter, and Willow, the aristocratic-looking grey one.  She was just as much a moggy as her daughter, her littermates were all sorts of colours, but she came up trumps (well, I think so) in the genetic lottery.  The two of them were very close, and they lived together all their lives.

Starting to settle in

The photo below was taken in the middle of a house move, and once they saw the empty cupboard, it was irresistible.  Willow, of course, claimed the top spot, she always did!

Cats and moving house, Jan 98a

And the house move photo shows exactly why I bought the particular statuettes I did, the big grey one looking directly at me, and the anxious little black and white deferring:

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

The colours were off the shelf, the direction of the eye movements were individual, and they expressed very clearly what my own lovely cats looked like. They’re made of ceramic, with glass eyes, and the glass is described as cathedral glass. I don’t know if that means they’re made from glass with the same chemical breakdown as cathedrals in this country, or whether some collapsing cathedral somewhere has sold off their windows to finance a renovation, but the result is gorgeous, the eyes definitely feel alive.

Close up, the eyes might look a bit spooky, like the photo below, but in truth this is exactly what Willow looked like first thing in the morning as she peered over the top of my duvet, demanding that I get up and provide her with breakfast, in the manner to which I made her accustomed.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

I’ve got to hand it to Winstanley Pottery, they’ve done a marvellous job of showing the different characters cats can have.  Thank you, Winstanley.

The Cat Pottery, North Walsham, Norfolk

Last year, I made a repeat visit to a hugely important site in Norfolk for cat lovers: the Cat Pottery in North Walsham. It’s just outside the centre of this beautiful little market town, I’m sure it was only a five minute walk. I went along there with family, and even my mum, who now uses a walking stick, found the walk easy enough.  The entrance is entrancing, let’s say, as you can see in the pictures below.  There’s love and thoughtfulness in the welcome – beautiful displays of plants and railway memorabilia, and a few cats peeping out too, hinting at the riches within.

2014 Norfolk Cat Pottery

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

And what riches! The finished products are on display – apparently about 30% of the business is now hares, but that still leaves cats with 70%, so that’s okay.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

The detailing is exquisite … I took a close-up of this one, in a display cabinet, it’s a little different from their normal range.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

The moulds, and some unpainted work just out of the kiln, are also to be seen – not just hares, but I could see a few meerkats as well, and a frog, and a dog, and … and … lots of things.  I got very excited at the time, and I’m excited all over again now, it was such a beautiful atmosphere there.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Luckily for me, I came across Nick Allen, the son of the founders of the Pottery, Ken Allen and Jenny Winstanley, and he was happy to have his photo taken by me.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

I love this place. It’s world famous, and deservedly so. I mentioned the Pottery’s “normal range” in the first part of this post, and it’s the eyes of the cats in that range that are most striking. They’re like nothing you’ve ever seen, deep, luminous and full of expression.  The photo below, taken from one of the cats in the cabinet, is an attempt to show how beautiful they are.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

The first time I went, years previously, I just had to buy a couple that were like my own cats, and I was able to find cats that were just right, already in stock, I didn’t even need to use their bespoke service. I’ll post again showing the comparison, and showing the luminosity of their eyes.

It was lovely to be in a place where little cat movements are captured so well, and where the markings of the cats are so finely distinguished. A blissful experience.